Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Roger Cohen's "Nuggets": A Man Obsessed

Last I checked, I had been blacklisted by The New York Times and could not post online comments to Cohen's inanities. Rather than waste time trying to submit another comment, I will merely observe that in Cohen's op-ed of today's date, "Britain Resolves, U.S. Wavers", which seems to concern David Miliband and Afghanistan, he reverts to Israel in its final paragraphs:

"Beyond Kabul I got these two nuggets from Miliband. . . .

He said: 'I profoundly believe that Israel’s security depends on a two-state solution and I think that a Palestinian state on the 1967 borders plus or minus agreed land swaps, with Jerusalem as a shared capital, and a fair settlement of the refugee issue is the right basis for Israel’s future as well as the Palestinians’ future.'”

Silly me! I thought Israeli Prime Minister Barak offered Arafat a two-state solution on the 1967 borders with Jerusalem as a shared capital and a fair settlement of the refugee issue, but Arafat refused. A "nugget" or a "road apple"? You decide.

And in case you didn't notice, although I can't remember when "internationalist" Cohen last visited Israel, 8 of 19 articles listed under Cohen's name in his New York Times' columnist page since August have somehow managed to involve Israel in one way or another. Usually when Cohen writes about a country - Turkey, England, France, Germany - he travels there, but this is not a courtesy he reserves for Israel. Why? You probably know my opinion, but I will also leave this for you to consider.

1 comment:

  1. Just like parting with the Sudetenland was essential to Czechoslovakia's security.

    ReplyDelete