Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Maureen Dowd, "Agent Saboteur?": How About a Breton Sailor Top?


"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

- Clark Gable as Rhett Butler, "Gone with the Wind," 1939


As America's president grows increasingly dysfunctional and Washington implodes from scandal and the abject failure of Obamacare, I find myself sitting across from Arnold Mountaindog in my socks and underpants - all reasonably clean - reading Maureen Dowd's latest New York Times op-ed entitled "Agent Saboteur?" (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/10/opinion/dowd-agent-saboteur.html). Writing from fabled Paris, Dowd informs us:

"I am sitting across from Arnaud Montebourg, a free-market villain and romantic hero, the pol selected by Frenchwomen in a new French Elle magazine poll as a top candidate for having 'a vacation love affair.'

. . . .

He famously sent sales of Breton sailor tops surging when he posed in one to promote his 'Made in France' campaign."

Me? Wear a cute little Breton sailor top? The thought is almost as appealing as watching "World War Z." You would have to pay me to do either.

Paris? I'd rather be in Philadelphia.

Ennui.

Enjoy your paid vacation, Maureen.

No comments:

Post a Comment