Saturday, March 12, 2016

Maureen Dowd, "The Sultan and the Salad": More "Wicked Fun"?



Do you remember how progressives in 2008 couldn't care less about the racist diatribes of Obama's pastor? And how progressives decided to ignore Obama's stinky real estate deal with Tony Rezko? Well, it's now 2016, and angry white men don't care if Donald Trump allegedly defrauded persons who paid for Trump University seminars. And they don't give a damn what happened to Trump Steaks or Trump Vodka. After all, he's their "I'd like to punch him in the face" candidate.

Last week, Maureen Dowd told us that watching the Trump campaign is "wicked fun." Today, in a New York Times op-ed entitled "The Sultan and the Salad," Dowd tells us of a different kind of "wicked fun": Dinner with her friend Max Mutchnick "of 'Will & Grace' fame" and his husband, Erik Hyman, at "the Polo Lounge, the minky dining room and bar off the [Beverly Hills Hotel's] main lobby." Dowd writes:

"In 2014, Jeffrey Katzenberg, Jay Leno, Elton John, Ellen DeGeneres and others called for a boycott of the hotel after its owner, the sultan of Brunei, implemented Shariah law in his small oily kingdom in the South China Sea, making homosexuality and adultery punishable by stoning."

However, as Mutchnick, who chose the restaurant, explained to Dowd:

"'I was proud to stand with my community and boycott an institution that represented repression and exclusion. But now the foundation of my political correctness is starting to show cracks. I grappled with my inner voice: ‘Maybe fluffy pancakes and warm maple syrup are more important than gay rights.’ But in truth, something deeper was gnawing at me: If I’m going to shun this hotel, does that mean that anything I don’t actively boycott, I tacitly endorse? I loved the television show ‘Glee.’ Should I not have watched because it aired on Fox, a company that gives Roger Ailes the parking space closest to the front door?'"

Never having experienced "Glee," I suppose I just don't have an answer for Mr. Mutchnik. But given that Obama entered into an unsigned nuclear deal with the Islamic Republic of Iran, which stones to death women accused of adultery and hangs homosexuals, I suppose breaking boycotts - except the BDS movement against Israel - is very much in vogue.

Perhaps I'm just not a "fun" person, wicked or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment