Friday, May 23, 2014

Gail Collins, "It’s No Picnic in the Senate": How About Some "Green Eggs and Ham"?

Not in a box.
Not with a fox.
Not in a house.
Not with a mouse.
I would not eat them here or there.
I would not eat them anywhere.
I would not eat green eggs and ham.
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.


- From "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr. Seuss


I suppose it should come as no surprise that yesterday David Brooks didn't mention "Green Eggs and Ham" among his "Really Good Books" (see: http://jgcaesarea.blogspot.co.il/2014/05/david-brooks-really-good-books-part-i.html).

Also no mention of "Green Eggs and Ham" in Gail Collins's latest New York Times op-ed entitled "It’s No Picnic in the Senate" (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/24/opinion/its-no-picnic-in-the-senate.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&_r=0), which she begins by observing:

"Happy Memorial Day Weekend! Time for summer fun! So let’s discuss Congressional gridlock."

What does "Green Eggs and Ham" have to do with the Memorial Day Weekend and Congressional gridlock? Probably nothing. However, if you are seeking to avoid reference to any and all scandals involving the Obama administration, that's a whole different story. More to the point, if you were to ask Gail about such scandals, you might be told:

Not at the VA.
Not at the NSA.
Not at the IRS.
Benghazi? Don't obsess.
I do not see a scandal here or there.
I do not see a scandal anywhere.
I do not see black marks or stains.
So let's also not discuss the Ukraine.

No comments:

Post a Comment