Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Nicholas Kristof, "Are We Getting Nicer?": Forever with His Head in the Sand

In his latest New York Times op-ed "Are We Getting Nicer?" (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/24/opinion/kristof-are-we-getting-nicer.html?_r=1&hp), Nicholas Kristof cheerfully informs us:

"Granted, the world still faces brutality and cruelty. That’s what I write about the rest of the year! But let’s pause for a moment to acknowledge remarkable progress and give thanks for the human capacity for compassion and moral growth."

Kristof writes about brutality and cruelty "the rest of the year"? Pardon me if I add that Jolly Old Saint Nicholas selectively writes about brutality and cruelty the rest of the year.

I'm still waiting for Kristof to write about the persecution of Iran's Baha'is, but that might offend Tehran.

I'm still waiting for Kristof to write about the oppression of Egypt's Christian Copts, but that might offend Egyptian Muslims.

I'm still waiting for Kristof to write about the need to create an independent state for the Middle East's 30 million Kurds, but that might offend Turkey.

And I'm still waiting for Kristof to write about the 50,000 missiles that Hezbollah has aimed at Israeli cities, or for that matter the 10,000 missiles, rockets and mortar rounds fired from Gaza at civilian targets in the south of Israel, but when did Kristof ever concern himself with Israel?

Enjoy your Thanksgiving, Nicholas, with your wife, who is a Senior Managing Director at Mid-Market Securities, and I hope that you have invited a few dozen demonstrators from OWS to share your turkey. If they should soil those lovely rugs in your living room, I will be pleased to recommend a cleaning service.

No comments:

Post a Comment