Monday, March 26, 2012

Obama's Open Mike Chat With Medvedev: Yes, Mr. President, You're Scaring Me

And yet another Obama open microphone gaffe: Speaking with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev about European missile defense, the US president requested patience until his reelection, when he would have more "flexibility." The conversation:

Obama: On all these issues, but particularly missile defense, this, this can be solved but it’s important for him to give me space.

Medvedev: Yeah, I understand. I understand your message about space. Space for you…

Obama: This is my last election. After my election I have more flexibility.

Medvedev: I understand. I will transmit this information to Vladimir, and I stand with you.

Flexibility with, i.e. readiness to make concessions to, Vladimir Putin? Yes, President Obama, you have me frightened. Have you forgotten that you are the president of a great nation and the leader of the free world?

This is the same Putin, who has opposed efforts to rein in the Iranian nuclear program and who has continued to arm Syria's Assad, as he slaughters those protesting his tyrannical rule. The same Putin who was just reelected as Russia's president by way of massive vote-rigging (see: http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16180553).

Although Obama became president with a reputation as America's most liberal senator, I had hoped that daily encounters with cruel global realities had caused the man to mature and made him middle-of-the-road. Instead, we now learn that it's all been a bluff: Should he be reelected, he will effect an agenda that is not being shared with the American people.

Obama's secret second term agenda involving Israel? Notwithstanding Obama's current charm campaign, there is no doubt in my mind that Israel will be squeezed into unilateral concessions never before demanded by a US president.

3 comments:

  1. There was never any reason to believe that Obama could deliver anything other than the general hope for "change", that convenient peg upon which everyone can hang his or her own hopes,be they liberal left or radical Islamist. Obama's election was won on the basis of spurious hopes. He would make a successful lay preacher.
    Self righteous, oratorical, intelligent but disconnected from the real tasks he faces, he is unwilling to dirty his hands and so has blundered time and again. He has changed little. Quite the opposite, in fact. He has merely endorsed radical Islam's view of his democractic leadership as a passing squall of hot air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see him as a charlatan/talented salesman. It's sad that the population raised on Carnegian "smile, don't argue," positivity and similar nonsense doesn't understand it.

      Delete
  2. "Yes, Mr. President, You're Scaring Me"
    Not as much as me. If I declared pompously (very unusual for me) in February 2007 that I'd rather die than vote for him, he must be scary. I must add that so far I have voted only for Democrats.

    ReplyDelete